If you work with the same folders regularly on your Mac, youcan adjust the view options so that the folders always display the same way.This is helpful if you prefer a certain view like List or Column or want youritems ordered by name or date.
Here’s how to set the default view and sort order for afolder on Mac.
Open Finder and navigate to your folder
1) Select yourpreferred view for the folder from the toolbar, whether its Icon, List, Column,or Gallery. You can also choose one of these options by clicking View in the menu bar.
2) Click View > Show View Options from the menu bar.
3) The options you see in the pop-up window will differ depending on the view you chose in Step 1. But they will display, Always open in…, Group By, and Sort By. (Except Gallery view does not offer Group By).
4) At the top, under Always open in, you’ll see the viewyou chose. Make sure the checkbox is marked so that every time you open thatfolder it opens in the same view.
5) Next, selectthe Group By and Sort By drop-downs and pick the optionsyou prefer.
6) Close the ViewOptions window when you finish.
Customize your view options
You’ll notice that each view offers different displayoptions. You can adjust these as well, before you close the View Optionswindow.
For instance, if you like the List view, you can mark thosecolumns you want to see when you use that view, like date modified, size, orkind. Similarly, for Icon view, you can pick the icon size, spacing, and textsize.
Use as Defaults
For each view, except Column view, you’ll see a Use as Defaults button. If you customizethe view as described above and want those settings to apply every time you usethat specific view, then click that button.
For example, if you selected a certain icon size or grid spacing to display in the Icon view, you’ll see those same customizations any time you use a folder in Icon view.
Note: The buttonwill be grayed out until you make a change.
Wrapping it up
Setting default views and sort orders can help keep things consistentand easier to use. Which folder view do you like the most or do you use differentones like Icon view for photos and List view for documents?