How deadly pufferfish toxin led to a breakthrough long-lasting local anesthetic

Tetrodotoxin is a somewhat notorious poison, known for killing hundreds of people. In Japan a sashimi dish, made from a species of pufferfish known as fugu, is so controlled that there are strict regulations over its service. Chefs must train for at least three years, and obtain a license, before being allowed to serve the dish. If it is incorrectly prepared the dish can be easily contaminated with tetrodotoxin, swiftly poisoning those hungry diners.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.